Unusual Showa Koshirae

paulb

All,

I am hoping someone might cast some light on the sword described below. If I have posted it in the wrong place I trust one of the moderators will relocate it.

The sword in question is an unsigned blade but has been papered to the same smith by both NBTHK and NTHK, namely:

NBTHK Hozon paper attributing it to Taira Takada

NTHK paper attributing it to Taira Takada NAGAMORI

(1532 ish, Jo Saku)

What is unusual about it is the Koshirae which although close to a number listed in Fuller and Gregory does not seem to match any. As this is an area I have absolutely no knowledge of I am hoping one of the Gendaito/ Showa-To enthusiasts might recongnise it.

The tsuba appears to be made of bronze (possibly shakudo). The mekugi is wrapped in thick gold foil. The other metal fittings are nickel (perhaps shibuichi). The same is good quality. The wooden saya is wrapped in black leather.

Does anyone have any idea what manner of official this may have been for?

post-16-14196755901272_thumb.jpg

Hi Paul.

After a quick browse of "Swords of Imperial Japan 1868 - 1945

Cyclopedia Edition" by Dawson, seems there's nothing similar in

"regulation" swords.

The quality of the blade and some details, the Tsuba with a Kodzuka-ana

makes me thinking either of an assembly or an ancestral blade in

civilian mounting "adapted" to military service.

As it is interesting indeed , if nothing sorts out from this board, may I

suggest to get in touch with Mr. Dawson at

jimdawson@stenger-sott.com

or

ddawson@stenger-scott.com ?

Hmm! Very odd!

The tsuka most closely resembles that of a late 19th century-early 20th century kyo-gunto.

However, you've got this interesting bit of having a cherry blossom hiding the mekugi and the whole lot rather reminiscent of tachi mounts, sort of. Which makes sort of makes sense, since the sword is slung cutting edge down, like a tachi. It is a bit of a hybrid.

Not sure that it has to be official mounts, and it doesn't match any official mounts of the Showa period with which I'm familiar - someone may however prove me wrong.

OTOH, they could have asked for mounts that they were happy with. If they'd had been used to a kyo-gunto tsuka, maybe that's what they felt happy with. As someone suggested, a retired naval officer?

Then again, some people weren't happy with the tsuka on the kyo-gunto because it was difficult to deliver a two-handed blow. This would never have been a regulation mount - but it might have been someone's private idea on how to perfect a kyo-gunto mount - which gets back to the previous para. Which might then make it very early Showa - but that (and everything else) is complete speculation.

Kevin

All,

I contacted Jim Dawason and he kindly responded. He believes this to be a custom made koshirae and mentions there are several similar examples in chapter 29 of his book. If anyone has a copy and could send me copies of these images it would be much appreciated.

thanks to all who have expressed an opinion they have been very helpful

regards

Paul

I contacted Jim Dawason and he kindly responded. He believes this to be a custom made koshirae and mentions there are several similar examples in chapter 29 of his book. If anyone has a copy and could send me copies of these images it would be much appreciated.

Guess Mr Dawson refers to the book I already mentioned.

"Chapter 29 - Unidentified custom swords" from page 372 to 381, all are quiet or significantly different from yours,

that appears to be a mix of the following two :

page 378

h001-1.jpg

and page 380

f001.jpg

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one, unless your post is really relevant and adds to the topic..