Yokoyama Kozuke (no) Daijo Fujiwara Sukesada

sisounek

Thank you all for your previous help.

From the same seller I can get this one (not too expensive not too cheap, around $2500, I really like Hamon - nice and coarse,

the only thing is GIMEI, is it or not?

Your answers are highly appreciated.

M

Yokoyama Kozuke (no) Daijo Fujiwara Sukesada

post-1407-14196759592926_thumb.jpg

post-1407-14196759600605_thumb.jpg

post-1407-14196759605242_thumb.jpg

post-1407-14196759607216_thumb.jpg

I knew it! another bummer and I almost fell for it.

well there is no way I can get get a good sword without NBTHK or NTHK or higher price.

Thank you very much for your comments

p.s. Unless I would become a swordsmith and make my own...... if its possible after few years

M

thanks for your replies

Well, I have always wanted a sword

with nice hamon - wave pattern, signed, flawless and over 100y.o., preferably Katana with papers

I have researched all the possible internet over a month, but havent found what I am looking for..... may be patience will help

However, I guess when papered blade, it does not matter if mumei or not.

I set price max of $4.000 but dont think I can get a decent blade.....(may be I should consider newly made sword)

does it generally matter if blade is from EU/ USA or Japan (quality, price etc) ? any recommended website?

the best websites I found..... are (in my opinion)

http://www.nihontoantiques.com

http://www.Japanese-sword-katana.jp

http://www.samuraishokai.jp/

http://www.aoi-art.com/

Thanks

Mike

Deleted the duplicate new post.

Mike, I think that at around $4K, you should be able to get what you are looking for. Not sure about with papers, but certainly something nice. Buy a blade that appeals to you, and don't worry too much about the smith or papers. Nice to have, but everyone has great swords that don't have papers.

No..it doesn't matter where you get the sword from. Places in Japan like Aoi have good deals sometimes, but then the USA shows are also a great place to look. I am sure those who attend will tell you that you could find something nice for $4K. You should always see if there are any shows near you that you can get to. Nothing better than buying when the sword is in hand.

Good choice going for 100 yrs or older. Rather a good Shinshinto than a bad Koto..and that is a mistake many make..getting obsessed with age.

No..a new sword will cost about $8K and more to have made. It is a rule that antiques can be had for better prices than having a Shinsakuto made for you. However second hand Shinsakuto can be a good deal (http://www.aoi-art.com/sword/katana/08046.html) especially with that longer length.

If you can live without koshirae, and get something in shirasaya, you can do even better in antiques. The main advice is to be patient, and see what comes up for sale here, or what people point out to you.

If possible, get a look at it in hand, otherwise listen to advice, and don't rush!

Brian

If I might add, katana's are nice, but you pay a premium for a longer blade, so I suggest a wakizashi or even a tanto. For 4K you can get a much better quality tanto or wakizashi. You will find more to look at, better quality, better mounts possibly. Westerners like big long blades it seems, like big V8 engines. Go for a nicer 4 or 6 cylinder instead - better quality for the same price.

Brian, about half the time I try to access the pages here I get an error message - any ideas?

Louis

Thank you Guys for you valuable info, I will be patient, and I might go for Wakizashi, something over 53cm,

Katana is fabulous, long- just precious, but then again Katana's were left behind when Samurai entered a house, and only Wakizashi was with him all the time, even during the nighttime.

I am so excited about getting my first blade, its like having a first date when 14y.o. Irie!

I am so excited about getting my first blade, its like having a first date when 14y.o. Irie!

"Great balls of fire", I know, but consider this: You are little Nemo, swimming in a pool with barracudas, even here on this board. Buying a blade is much easier than getting rid of one.

reinhard

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one, unless your post is really relevant and adds to the topic..