Opinions on this blade bought from auction??

DaveM4P99

Hi everyone. A friend sent me photos of a blade he bought a while ago from auction...

Not sure, since I am no expert...but looking at the photos, the shape of the nakago looks way off (mishapen in some parts), there is no mei, the nakago looks as though it was cleaned at some point, since there are no file marks...The hamon looks decent, as does the shape of the blade...There is also a serial number on the habaki...not sure what that means. Weren't gunto swords serialized on the blade itself? Thinking fake...

47514_zps9804101e.jpg

P2040027_zps869bbc01.jpg

P2040026_zps919b7c56.jpg

P2040025_zps7d70afb1.jpg

P2040024_zps7c9a05c0.jpg

P2040023_zpsb253f939.jpg

P2040022_zpsd630de59.jpg

47516_zps69c0eb48.jpg

47515_zps3a62d2eb.jpg

Even as a novice it seems clear to me that a genuine blade would atleast have a shingo that lines up between the nagasa and the nakago. Also the fact that the discoloration is not uniform across the whole depth of the mihaba is also suspect. What I mean is, why would the hamon have aged at a different rate than the ha?

I think I read somewhere on this forum that serial number on the habaki = chinese fake.

True. It is one of the dead give-aways. No absolutes in this hobby...but when you see that, combined with the other indicators, it confirms it.

Brian

OK I am going to have a few more of these type of posts coming up in the next few days / weeks / months...I belong to a HUGE website called ar15.com and there are a LOT of WWII collectors on it...many of whom have fathers and grandfathers who passed down swords...So more to come...

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one, unless your post is really relevant and adds to the topic..