Star stamped blade with NBTHK Hozon kantei-sho

cabowen

Someone sent me this the other day....This sword is a WWII blade as evidenced by the date. Made by Miyairi Akihira. The blade was sent to Japan for kantei-sho at the NBTHK, which it received. A copy is below. Further proof that star stamped blades have been judged as Nihon-to and have passed NBTHK shinsa.

post-1462-14196855210914_thumb.jpg

Thank you for posting that Chris.

Although I have seen RJT made blades papered, they had no star visible...I always suspected that the star had been professionally removed...a big mistake both ethically and historically IMHO, this is the first I have seen that actually shows the star stamp.

Very interesting.

Regards,

Thanks Chris

I hope the debate regarding star stamped swords as genuine nihonto or not will finally be over now. :clap:

But somehow I doudt it. I guess according to some people the moon landing didn't happen except for the time when Elvis left earth in a rocket and settled on the moon.

Best

Daniel

Thanks Chris

I hope the debate regarding star stamped swords as genuine nihonto or not will finally be over now. :clap:

But somehow I doudt it. I guess according to some people the moon landing didn't happen except for the time when Elvis left earth in a rocket and settled on the moon.

Best

Daniel

There will always be those that steadfastly cling to their falsehoods or fail to acknowledge their errors no matter the evidence because they are simply too small to admit they are wrong. We can't fix personality flaws, only misconceptions....

Hi,

Mister cabowen

If you call that paper a proof, I don't, i can provide you thousand of this kind of photocopy. That i want to see is an original.

Something is strange, the star is not mentionned on the paper or usually all that is inscribed on a nakago should be mentionned on origami (kao included).

Hi,

Mister cabowen

If you call that paper a proof, I don't, i can provide you thousand of this kind of photocopy. That i want to see is an original.

Something is strange, the star is not mentionned on the paper or usually all that is inscribed on a nakago should be mentionned on origami (kao included).

Of course it isn't good enough for you.

The sword belonged to the President of the NBTHK-US branch, Mr. Paul Davidson who had it polished and papered. This kantei-sho and an article about the sword were published in an article by Mr. Arnold Frenzel, a long time Director of the JSS-US, in the JSS-US Newsletter (volume 27, no. 4, July/Aug 1995). You can view the printed copy of the original in the Newsletter cited above.

Both of these gentleman are above reproach with no reason to attempt any subterfuge.

There is nothing wrong with the kantei-sho. The number is clearly visible in the upper right hand corner. If you think it is fake or altered, please prove it. With the number, you can always call the NBTHK and ask them. It may seem strange to you, but that is hardly proof it is not legitimate. Personally, I think the calligraphy is atrocious but it isn't the first time I have seen that....

Really Jacques, you bring to mind the Black Knight....Your inability to graciously admit the obvious is actually becoming painful to watch....

Age/knowledge/wiseness having nothing to do with age, this long discussion could be settled between you two guys, with this question:

What are, for both of you, your experience and credential in Nihonto field and in Gendaito, WWII Nihonto?

Jean san,

I respectfully disagree with your comment.

This has nothing to do with justification of expertise in gendaito etc IMHO,

In this case it is a matter of the simple rules of logical discussion between scholars.

Jacques said he "must be shown" a NTHK paper for a star stamped sword before he would believe a star stamped sword was a gendaito.

Chris bowen provided that paper.

Now Jacques must state that he accepts the proof has been provided.

If he has doubts about the paper he must state his doubts and provide his evidence.

If he is accusing Chris Bowen of dishonesty he must prove it.

I don't know why he wants to know how old Chris Bowen is ...he must say why.

Regards,

George,

I am just rephrasing Jacques sentence asking Chris' age, as he seems shifting competency/knowledge/experience in relaton with age, that's all.

Now, I think NMB members are sufficiently adult to decide what and who they can believe in front of evidence they can easily be provided with:

This kantei-sho and an article about the sword were published in an article by Mr. Arnold Frenzel, a long time Director of the JSS-US, in the JSS-US Newsletter (volume 27, no. 4, July/Aug 1995). You can view the printed copy of the original in the Newsletter cited above

I do not see this as scholarly in any way in respect to the issue of trust. What would be the agenda of providing papers that attest to the question in hand? Is there a monetary gain or is it one-upmanship? I don't think so. Without credible evidence to prove the contrary, raising an issue of trust is disingenuous and misleading. There are ways to verify most modern documentation and if there is a belief in it's lack of credibility, prove it. Personal attacks on any one's ethics are counterproductive and have no place here. I am tempted to delete that part of an otherwise interesting discussion. Back up your assertions with credible proofs gentlemen. John

I mentioned I had personally submitted a star stamped Tsukamoto Okimasa blade to the NBTHK and that it received Hozon papers. Jacques did not believe that, essentially calling me a liar. I later found the sword for sale on someone's (unknown to me) web site, where the blade was described as having both a star stamp and Hozon papers. This was still not good enough for Jacques. Now he needed to see the kantei-sho.

Then someone sent me an article written by a JSS-US Director (whom I have no affiliation with), published in the JSS-US Newsletter, which contained the story of a Miyairi Akihira made during the war with a star stamp. It is well known that Miyairi was a Rikugun Jumei Tosho. The blade was part of a gendaito exhibit in Chicago in the later 1990's and was owned at that time by Mr. Paul Davidson, later President of the NBTHK-US branch, who had it sent to Japan for polishing and papering.

The article which illustrated the kantei-sho was published in 1995, quite some time before Jacques made his bold statement that the NBTHK would not paper a star stamped blade. Clearly it would not be possible for me to fabricate such evidence.

The published kantei-sho I have provided clearly shows both a star stamp and the registration number of the kantei-sho, allowing anyone to call the NBTHK to verify the authenticity of the origami.

The ball is now in Jacques' court. If this kantei-sho is indeed fraudulent, it should be easy for him to prove it. Excuses, unfounded accusations and irrelevant questions about my age add nothing towards that end.

Hello,

Why would not a Star stamped blade be valid for papering?

Why would a traditionally made blade not be valid for use by the army?

/Martin

According to Jacques, star stamped blades are not traditionally made Nihon-to and thus the NBTHK will not paper them.

There is no reason a traditionally made blade could not be used by the Army. We know many officer's carried older blades in gunto koshirae.

If i'm not wrong, Star stamped are WWII weapons and are forbidden in Japan. If NBTHK gives paper for such swords, that makes NBTHK outlaw.

You clearly have never read the JuToHo, nor are you familiar with the relevant sections that define what can be licensed and admitted in Japan, or you would know why some blades made during WWII are not forbidden. It is also obvious that you have no real experience with WWII blades or you would know better....Still better, you have also never spent any time in Japan where you can handle these blades, with torokusho, any day of the week. While there have been things alleged to have happened at the NBTHK that are illegal, papering star stamped blades is not among them.

Geez Jacques, you are really in over your head. Someone once said that when you find yourself in a hole, the best thing to do is to stop digging. Please, for heaven's sake, put down your shovel!!!!

Star stamped are WWII weapons and are forbidden in Japan.

No, this concerns only non traditionally made blades. A lot of family heirloom were in gunto mountings during WWII and are perfectly legal. It is not the period of fabrication which determines if it is forbidden or not but the way the swords were made: Factory/industrially/machine made: illegal, traditionally/hand made: legal/authorized.

We must make the difference between art saber and simple weapon.

Japanese authorities stated it before

Ok guys,

Now I will make a statement : )

Star stamped blades were only used as a mark which the army used for as an approval. Like a NATO-number used on equipment today.

Both traditionally made blades and non-traditional blades would be used in the army. Those OK'ed got a stamp.

Correct or incorrect statement?

/Martin

It is hasty to say all WWII star-stamped blades are traditionally made and worthy of preservation because a few have NBTHK papers.

Do WWII star-stamped blades have a 100% pass rate with NBTHK? How many WWII star-stamped blades have been submitted and rejected? For those rejected, what were the reasons? Do they align with Jacques concerns or different reasons?

We need these answers before we can conclusively say that all WWII star-stamped blades are traditionally made and worthy of preservation.

Is it expecting too much that the most learned about WWII star-stamped blades would have these statistics and be willing to share? 8)

One step forwards...2 steps back.

This has been amply covered before. Please search the forum and read the docs. Star stamp = RJT = carefully controlled standards for Gendaito = water quenched from tamahagane. All should get origami if submitted under todays enlightened info.

I do not wish to go down this same old tired road again. Read what we have already written. This one is done.

Brian